Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Share Book Marketing Ideas

Writers as marketers can be a frightening concept to many. I interviewed Catherine Marshall many years ago. Since my husband is a minister, we have moved often. I calculate time by where we lived when an event happened. I spoke with Catherine Marshall when we lived in the big house on Guilford Street and when the nation sputtered along under gas rationing.
I asked her if she was involved in her husband's publishing business, Chosen Books. Her reply was, "Oh my, no. Publishing and writing are two different talents!"
While I agree with her, today's authors must participate in that area of publishing called marketing. So, I will give you one of my working phrases:
"What you do not naturally do, you must deliberately do!"
1. Study book marketing from those who have done it well.
2. Think of every place you will be going in the next twelve months and plan books signings in those locations.
3. Decide on a marketing budget and set that money aside.
Those are a few logical suggestions.
What would you recommend in this great new adventure called marketing?
We are in this together. Let's share!

No comments:

Post a Comment