Thursday, March 12, 2015

Support Your Indie Author Day!

“You’re the lady who wrote the books, right?” a man asked while I was deciding between over-ripe or under-ripe bananas at the grocery store.
I recognized him as a man who attends my daughter’s church and had purchased two of my books. He has an American Indian ancestry and asked Katy to bring, Hiawassee – Child of the Meadow and Smoke from Distant Fires to him.
“I loved them,” he said. “My daughter (a Divinity Doctoral Student) cried when she read Hiawassee,” he told me. “I mentor several people,” he added, “and I've asked them to read all of this lady's books.” He asked for all of my titles, so I told him to enter Doris Gaines Rapp on Amazon. My list of books will be there.
What’s the point of all of this? Positive Recognition of their work is a wonderful gift to give an Indie Author. We have no publisher holding our hand through the process or publicist lining up appearances on talk shows. In fact, publishing is currently an “everyone for themselves” industry for authors who do not make millions for them. Mid-list authors have to do their own editing, publicity and marketing even if they have signed with a publishing company. Some really successful authors, once under contract with a publishing house, have decided to self-publish so their work continues to be available for future generations of readers, and not retired after so-many-month on the market.
It is a long and exciting process to get out a book. Let today be the day when you tell an Indie Author, “Thanks. I really enjoyed your book.” Perhaps today could be, “Support Your Indie Author Day!”
Doris
Copyright 2015 Doris Gaines Rapp


No comments:

Post a Comment