Thursday, August 21, 2014

Life Beyond the Boxes

The box of books came today! That's better than finding the red bicycle under the tree you had been writing Santa about! The brown cardboard box looks innocent enough, not at all like a treasure chest full of the dreams and promises you had worked hard to attain. The shipment was a stack of my two new historical novels, Hiawassee - Child of the Meadow and Smoke from Distant Fires that I will be signing at the Pow Wow in Tipton, IN on Labor Day weekend.

I had signed Smoke from Distant Fires in Louisville, KY in April, just days after its release date. Now, Hiawassee - Child of the Meadow is equally new. They arrived just in time for the Pow Wow! What a thrill!

Even more amazing is that, while I get excited about interacting with readers with these two books, I am also working on two other pieces. I'm putting the final edits on Christmas Feathers which will be out soon as a short story, then will be combined with seven other authors' short stories to create the book, Christmases Past. 

I had to pull up my pant legs today and keep running. So many wonderful projects. I spent all day yesterday, selecting several years of posts from my blog, www.prayertherapyrapp.blogspot.com to create a Devotional Book based on Prayer Therapy, a Lent Book, Advent Booklet, and then update Prayer Therapy Primer for a re-release.

No, I am not in a manic phase. I'm also a psychologist and I would know. The Lord just continues to bless me with writing opportunities and has introduced me to a new publisher, HHP.

One of my expressions is, "What you do not naturally do you must deliberately do." So, while the creative ideas flow, I must make a list of the projects and enter details into my daily planner. I also post to a worksheet that reminds me of all the steps necessary in order to finish a major writing project. I describe a character or a scene in detail in my books, but the mundane knit-picky of everyday life is profoundly annoying to me. I must deliberately do the detail work and chart my progress.

I get to live in the past in my writing, enjoy the people I meet in the present and plan writing projects for the future. Live your life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it. Don't let one hour in time go un-lived. Life is for living!

Doris
Doris Gaines Rapp

No comments:

Post a Comment